Tuesday, February 15, 2011

little miss muffet

little Miss Muffet...
sat on a tuffet 
Eating her curds and whey,
Along came a spider,
Who sat down beside her
And frightened Miss Muffet away

The thing is I promised to write about all things fabulous and glam...  well
the bugs in Australia ARE IN FACT EXTRAORDINARY and FAB in their own little buggy ways.  

Every day I'm on a spider hunt - one day I found one waiting for me in the car - a big one too -a Huntsman.  Huntsman are HUGE and look a little like a lighter color tarantula.  They are, however, not poisonous.  Therefore, you are actually glad when you see one because you know it isn't dangerous - unless you have a heart condition and get a big fright when you spot one.  So far I have had one in my car, 2 in the bathroom, 1 in the laundry, and have seen many more outside.  The other spiders are a little tricky because you are always trying to make sure the ones lurking in the corners aren't the baddies - red back, white tail, and funnel web oh my!!  I've killed both a red back and a white tail.... IN MY HOUSE!!!!!   I spend way too much time ridding the house of webs and spiders.

There are other bugs to contend with in Australia the most annoying are the kamikaze "christmas bugs".  They are a little metallic colored beetle that have no idea how to get around and are constantly dive bombing into anything in their way.... sometimes this includes me.... yuck!  They then land on their backs and stay that way wiggling around until they can flip over and then fling their little bodies back into the air only to CRASH into another object.  They must be miserable - not sure how they eat since they never seem to land anywhere with any accuracy.  

A word on flies.... I thought I knew what flies were - I was wrong!  Seattle, you have no bugs seriously!  The flies in Australia are not bothered at all with you swatting them away.  I think they rather think it a challenge to land on you and stay there no matter how much moving around you do to avoid this.  

It seems that almost every day I encounter a creepy crawly of a new kind.  I must say I'm proud of the way I've adapted to these little creatures - I would have thought they would have sent me screaming into the other room, but to my surprise, I just get rid of them as if I've been doing it all my life.  well..... that is unless a more appropriate bug killer is around - my husband!  He ALWAYS gets the honor if he is home.  This is what husbands are for after all...Sticks and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails to my Sugar and Spice and everything Nice!

and I promise to post a picture of one of the biggies the next time I capture one :)

cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment